Medical Microbiology and Immunology (Doctorate)
Other Programs Available
With a PhD in medical microbiology and immunology from Creighton University, you’ll be well-prepared for a broad range of careers in research and teaching in medical microbiology, immunology and related health science fields. Creighton has been renowned for health science education for more than 120 years.
The program emphasizes independence in scientific pursuit, with an emphasis on research. Your course work and dissertation research are designed to bring you to a high level of competence in microbiology and immunology with special expertise in an area you choose for dissertation research.
The doctoral program in medical microbiology and immunology prepares you for a wide range of career opportunities. Creighton graduates with a doctorate in medical microbiology and immunology have gone on to successful careers as university professors, leading scientists within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, and as scientists within governmental institutes and agencies.
The combination of strong curriculum and outstanding research opportunities prepares our doctoral students to be leaders within the fields of medical microbiology and immunology.
- How to demonstrate a high capacity for original and independent thought
- How to apply your creativity, educational background and knowledge of the scientific method to dissertation research
- How to do advanced investigative work in medical microbiology and immunology
Application Deadline: February 1
International students should apply at least 3 months in advance of anticipated start date in order to get all paperwork processed.
Your academic record and performance will be a major factor in acceptance. Your undergraduate curriculum must include fundamental courses in both biological and chemical sciences. A strong foundation in undergraduate microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and biochemistry are desired. An application should include:
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale is required.
- Completed application and $50 nonrefundable application fee
- Three letters of recommendation (please use the electronic rec. process with the online application!). The recommendations should be completed and submitted by persons other than family members who are qualified to assess an applicant’s performance in an academic or work setting.
- Statement of purpose
- Official transcripts from all colleges/university attended
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): A minimum combined score of 300 is required for the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections, and a minimum score of 4.0 is required for the analytical writing component.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): All international applicants from countries in which English is not the primary language must demonstrate proficiency in English language by submitting a minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBt (213 CBT/550 PBT). International applicants who receive their baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution in the US, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Africa (English-speaking only) are NOT required to submit a TOEFL score report.
Students admitted into this program receive full tuition remission, a stipend, fees and insurance that is covered by the department.