Creative Writing (Master of Fine Arts)
Other Programs Available
Write your own future.
Enroll in Creighton University’s Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program and you’ll join a diverse community of writers of poetry, fiction and creative non-fiction. This degree will help you develop your writing skills and establish contacts within the publishing industry.
Creighton’s MFA program is designed to give you the tools and inspiration you need to work toward finishing the book you’ve always wanted to write and crafting your career as a writer. You’ll do this through a series of workshops, craft classes, literature seminars, one-on-one consultations and talks with visiting writers, editors and agents.
Creighton’s Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is a two-year, residential program offering specializations in prose or poetry. Eight-week terms and evening classes provide flexible scheduling and include built-in writing time.
Fellowships are available, as well as training and real-world experience in teaching, editing and publishing. Our MFA faculty are well-published, award-winning writers with a strong commitment to helping writers achieve their goals.
A master’s in creative writing can take you places.
Creighton MFA writers publish their work nationally in a wide variety of magazines and with publishing companies, and many win awards for their writing and become paid professional writers.
Some graduates go on to PhD programs in creative writing or literature, or pursue careers in other fields such as medicine and law. This degree can help prepare you for a number of successful careers, such as:
- Editorial Assistant
- Marketing Director
- Content Writer
The demand for writers and authors is expected to grow 7.5 percent from 2017-27. In 2016, the median annual salary for writers and authors was $61,240.
Sources: Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) – September 2017, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
The Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing consists of 48 credit hours and can be completed in as little as two years. Each course is eight weeks long.
- The Writing Life
- Four sections of Prose Workshop or Poetry Workshop
- Four sections of The Craft of Prose or The Craft of Poetry
- Four sections of Prose Seminar or Poetry Seminar
- Practicum or Thesis
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Manuscript of original writing: 10-12 pages for the poetry track; 25-30 pages for prose
- Personal essay of about 500 words on the applicant’s purpose for pursuing graduate study in creative writing, identifying a particular track (poetry or prose)
- Three letters of recommendation
- International applicants must meet English language proficiency requirements
- International applicants who are formally admitted must complete and submit a Certification of Available Finances Form through the Global Engagement Office
Creighton University reserves the right to request GRE scores or a personal interview.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to apply for financial assistance, as well as for graduate student scholarships and fellowships. Here’s how to apply for financial assistance.
- Step 1: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Step 2: We’ll contact you if verification is required
- Step 3: You’ll receive a financial aid award notification
- Step 4: Accept your aid offer
For questions about financial aid, contact:
gpfinaid [at] creighton [dot] edu
|Start Classes in||Apply By|
Apply by March 15 for best consideration for a fellowship.