Ministry (Master of Arts)
If you’re interested in preparing for professional ministry in the Catholic Church or other Christian denominations, the Master of Arts (MA) in ministry at Creighton University is perfect for you. This flexible master’s degree program will help you reach your goal of serving God’s people, whether that’s in a parish or diocese, on a college campus, or in a hospital, prison or other ministry setting.
In the MA in ministry program, you’ll learn from professors who are are nationally and internationally recognized for their excellence in teaching and research. Visiting faculty from other Jesuit universities may also lend their expertise.
This is a hybrid program, meaning that courses are offered online year-round with summer, on-campus residency weeks, during which you will participate in week-long seminars in personal, spiritual and professional development. You will take one course at a time generally for 8 weeks. The program requires 2.5 to 3 years of full-time study to complete.
Throughout the program, you’ll be expected to participate in personal spiritual direction with a certified or approved director, make an extended prayer retreat, and work closely with an appointed ministry mentor.
Graduates of the MA in ministry program are prepared for service in a variety of contexts, including parishes, dioceses and other settings such as schools, hospitals, prisons and more. The degree is also excellent formation for those already serving in pastoral careers.
- How to analyze and apply Scripture in pastoral settings
- How to promote evangelization, faith formation and pastoral care with cultural sensitivity
- Communication, decision-making and conflict resolution skills
- How to model your service upon the leadership style of Jesus Christ
The program consists of a total of 46 credits, including
- Thirty-eight (38) credits of accelerated theology courses are offered throughout the year in 8-week, online units
- Four (4) credits of professional and personal development courses, taken on campus in one-week blocks
- Four (4) internship credits are taken in 1, 2, 3, or 4 credit blocks.
For the Personal Formation component, you will include 8 or more days committed to personally directed spiritual retreat(s).
See all required courses.
Internships in applied ministry are developed according to your interests.
- A bachelor’s degree in any major from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- You need 9 credits of undergraduate theology, earned no earlier than 1995; however, this requirement may be waived for an equivalent study of theology in a certificate program or deacon formation.
- Completed Graduate School Application.
- Three (3) recommendation letters: one from an employer (pastor, bishop, etc.), one from a former professor to demonstrate academic aptitude, and one from a mentor/spiritual director about your faith/prayer life.
Submit all materials (transcripts, letters, etc.) to the Graduate Dean’s office:
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178