Spiritual Direction-Directed Retreats (Certificate)
The Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats offers an experience of reflection, prayer, worship and study that cultivates a deep knowledge of Christian Spirituality.
Participants cultivate an apostolic spirituality through this program, which promotes the deep spiritual and moral renewal needed for Christians to respond appropriately to the many urgent issues facing humanity in the twenty-first century. Students who complete this program are able to apply the concepts they’ve learned to both life and ministry.
This is a summer-only program of graduate level courses for candidates who are 30 years of age or older and have a 2-year history of regular spiritual direction.
More than 1000 students have completed the Christian Spirituality program and represent the laity, religious and clergy. Competent spiritual directors are in demand.
The certificate also gives you a jump-start on completing the M.A. in Christian Spirituality if desired.
- A thorough knowledge of Christian Spirituality, with an emphasis on Ignatian Spirituality
- Experiential appropriation of the mysteries of the Christian faith grounded in human development through reflection, prayer and communal worship
- An apostolic orientation directed toward more effective ministry skills, especially toward preparation for giving spiritual direction and directed retreats
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school
- Recently completed 4 courses or 12 credits in the following areas of undergraduate Theology: Old Testament, New Testament, Theological Ethics, Contemporary Christian Theology
- Be at least 30 years of age
- Have completed a minimum of 2 years of regular spiritual direction
- Certificate students must complete an 8-day, silent, directed retreat no more than three years before enrolling and preferably no later than the start of their first summer of courses, and absolutely before their second summer of courses.
- $50 application fee
Complete the Graduate School Application. In addition, submit recommendations by 3 people who can comment on your life of faith and prayer and your suitability for this program. You may use the same individuals for the letters and the academic references. There is a link on the application to do this.
All materials should be sent to the Graduate Dean:
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
Complete and submit the Certification of Available Finances Form and an Insurance Verification Form, available on the Admissions website. Note: A SEVIS fee is required. Information about the SEVIS fee will be sent with your I-20. Contact Shama Ali for forms at sali [at] creighton [dot] edu.
TOEFL: All students from countries in which English is not the native language are required to demonstrate competence in English by a score of 550 or 213 on the computer-based test (CBT) in the TOEFL.