Audience: Professionals, executives, managers and administrators in every industry
Method: Online; meets 2 times weekly
Duration: 12 weeks
Graduate application: Not required
Credits: Non-credit course
Online Data Analytics Course
Learn in-demand tech skills by completing hands-on projects from top tech companies like Spotify, Google and Airbnb in this course. Almost every industry from business to education, health care and nonprofit now requires employees who are able to use data to make better-informed decisions. Sharpen your data skills with this professional development program.
All lectures are 100% online, and you’ll meet virtually, two times each week with your classmates and instructor in a live discussion. Meeting times are Monday and Wednesday from 6-7 p.m.
This course is divided into two parts: Introduction to Applied Data Analytics and Data Visualization with Tableau.
Part 1: Introduction to Applied Data Analytics
Learn applied job skills in close connection to the concepts and theories that drive the daily decisions relevant to data analysis and business intelligence. Each module will focus on a primary theme. Students will start by grappling with real-world cases, then will methodically drill down to solve the problems from a technical approach. Upon completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand implications of data bias in case studies
- Understand different data types and use cases
- Ask effective questions about the data
- Understand business metrics and KPIs
- Communicate technical information to business stakeholders
- Understand the difference between supervised and unsupervised learning
- Create a conversion rate optimization analysis
- Create a customer experience analysis
- Understand the differences between common data types in Excel
- Demonstrate ability to calculate standard statistical measures in Excel
- Demonstrate proficiency with common data analysis techniques in Excel, e.g., Pivot Tables and VLOOKUP
- Create and interpret a linear regression model in Excel
- Create and interpret a time series model in Excel
- Implement logistic regression in Excel
- Demonstrate ability with basic visualizations in Excel
- Create and run a hypothesis test
PART 2: DATE VISUALIZATION WITH TABLEAU
In this portion of the program, you’ll learn the skills, concepts, and theories relevant to data visualization and its applications. You’ll explore theoretical fundamentals and design principles of data-based visualizations, how to spot misleading and untruthful visualizations, and how to use Tableau, a leading data visualization software. Students also learn visualization best practices, how to design usable dashboards, and will sharpen their analytical skills. Hands-on exercises allow you to merge, join and download data from several sources for your visualizations.
At the completion of this portion of the bootcamp, you’ll be able to:
- Create impactful presentations
- Communicate data effectively
- Understand the conceptual and technical fundamentals of data visualization
- Employ best practices in data visualization to develop charts, maps, tables and other visual representations of data
- Utilize advanced Tableau features including parameters, data blending and custom date hierarchies
- Use Tableau’s visualization tools to conduct data analysis and explore unfamiliar datasets
Meet Your Course Instructor
Professor Alvarez is an Artificial Intelligence advisor to NASA. He has served as an adjunct Professor of Data Science and Machine Learning at Santa Clara University Leavey School of Business. He has also held a variety of industry data science roles. By devoting his professional life to studying and using data to champion holistic changes in a wide array of fields, Robert has the industry experience to best prepare you for your future data-driven career.
If you have questions please fill out our Contact Us form or call 402.280.4076. We can also provide assistance with group registration or work with you to develop a customized course for a team.